Welcome to the home of the Sierra Pastel Society!
Our group was founded in 1999 with the goal of promoting the use and enjoyment of the pastel medium and to, “Bring Brilliance to Life”. The Sierra Pastel Society is based on the western slope of the beautiful Sierra Nevadas with members not only from the surrounding areas including Auburn, Placerville and Lake Tahoe but also with members from all over the United States.
The Sierra Pastel Society sponsors two biennial exhibitions held on opposite years: the Pastels on High International Exhibition on even years and a Signature membership show on odd years. Pastels on High is an open juried exhibition attracting artists from many different areas. The Signature Membership show displays the high caliber of our artists who have earned SPS Signature status.
The Sierra Pastel Society also organizes a Membership show each year that is open to all members. These shows have been held in the Northern California area, but we do have plans in the near future to add online shows to our yearly program which will make it easier for our out-of-town members to participate. This show is judged and awards are given at an artists’ reception at the close of the show.
The Sierra Pastel Society also offers many opportunities throughout the year for artists to come together and be creative or just visit with one another.
- We hold 3 free general membership meetings with demonstrations by respected artists in the field. Some of these demos do include audience participation which is a wonderful opportunity to interact with these great teachers.
- We offer paint-outs at many wonderful locations throughout the area.
- We have fun get togethers with friendly critiques of current paintings we are working on. Here we also exchange many ideas on projects and techniques.
- We participate in a Holiday brunch each year with our fellow area artists.
- Every other year, the Sierra Pastel Society hosts a multi-day workshop with a respected pastelist. These are always very popular events because there is always much one-on-one time with the instructor.
The Sierra Pastel Society is also a member of the International Association of Pastel Societies (IAPS) which entitles SPS members to participate in IAPS conventions, educational programs and competitions.
We are an active group of painters that love to both learn and teach others about the wonderful world of pastel. Our membership is open to all levels of artists and supporters of the soft pastel medium. The Sierra Pastel Society is managed completely by a volunteer Board and others who take great pride in making our group exciting and fun for all. Please continue to enjoy our site to learn more about what is happening and feel free to contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to having you join our group!
Thank you. **This website has been adorned with paintings that received awards from our SPS’s shows.**